Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Waking up to Biscuits

I had this really great idea I would wake up early this morning and make biscuits. I followed a recipe from my Kitchen Aid mixer cookbook. I substituted whole wheat flour for all purpose flour. With my experience baking with whole wheat flour, things tend to be drier than usual so I added a wee bit more almond milk and honey.

The out come is still dry (yet not as dry as usual). What can I do to make my whole wheat creations less dry? Any help would be appreciated. The recipe called for it to bake for 12-15 minutes. I set my timer for 12 minutes which was way too long. As you can see from the picture below, they were cooked a few minutes too long.

I just hope the kids like them!


Addendum:
The kids LOVED these biscuits. I thought they were way too dry but they loved them. Maybe they liked them so much because I used Halloween shapes.

The next day I used a Better Homes and Gardens recipe for drop biscuits. These were so much better and moist. My kids had them for breakfast, snack, and dinner. They could not get enough of them. Lucky for me I made a large batch to accommodate all the biscuit needs. MM asked, "so, what's your secret ingredient to make these the best?" I love it when the kids are this passionate about something they eat (especially when it is not candy or junk food).

No comments: